I did, of course, spend a lot of time with google before posting. All of
the hits point to jconsole, jmap, and visualvm. None of these tools work
reliably. They hang, they crash, they spit up errors, they generate useless
results. You'll note in another thread this morning another developer
having jmap and visualvm barf on them. It's not an isolated incident.