In my master thesis I used compojure/ring with a jetty adapter.
It's a recommender  engine that runs completely in memory, so no need for
external services calls or DB connections.

Deployed it as a jar to a amazon c1.large instance.
It is hit with 800+ request per second from 9 to 23 -> 40,320,000 per day.
The CPU is board at about 35%.

Hope this helps.

All the best,
Waldemar