PS the rousing applause during Hugo's talk when he shows how you can view
locals reminded me that I had seen this before, and indeed when I checked I
remembered that I was even involved in a previous conversation about ritz-nrepl
on this list. And I remember that the main obstacle to my happiness here is
that this only seems to be available so far in emacs.

I guess that Common Lisp-style universality is probably not in the cards, but I
think that getting this from from "lein run" would be a pretty good
alternative. I say that not only because that's how I often run my code, but
also because I guessing that many people, no matter their IDE preferences or
how they usually run their code, could pretty easily do a "lein run" run if
they knew that they needed to do some debugging. Even if that's not how you
normally run your code it involves a lot less overhead than having to
install/configure/learn/etc emacs if you just to see locals when an exception
occurs.

 -Lee