> zcaudate <z...@caudate.me> Oct 05 08:35PM -0700
I'm a little bit miffed over this current craze of `types` and
`correctness` of programs. It smells to me of the whole `object` craze of
the last two decades. I agree that types (like objects) have their uses,
especially in very well defined problems, but they have got me in trouble
over and over again when I am working in an area where the goal is unclear
and requirements are constantly changing.

Joe Armstrong and Simon Peyton Jones discuss Erlang and Haskell
http://www.infoq.com/interviews/armstrong-peyton-jones-erlang-haskell

This interview covers some of the strong-types vs flexible development
(apparent) dichotomy, but in a playful, open and non-dogmatic way. (catmatic?)

Simon Peyton Jones is one of the Haskell leaders, yet admits to
being envious of type-free generics.  Joe Armstrong of Erlang fame
also sees the benefit to thinking in and annotating types.
These two are both leaders of typed or dynamic cults but have
a pleasant friendly and frank conversation about the issues.
(Erlang's Dialyzer sounds somewhat like core.typed)

A sample:

SPJ: So, I've told you what I most envy about Erlang. What do you most envy about Haskell?

JA: All the types. I mean they're very nice. I wish we had them. On the other hand, wouldn't you love to have all these generic turn-to-binary, these sort of things? How can you live without them?

SPJ: I have a little bit of residual envy about generics.

JA: You just take anything and compare it to the serializer and then send it?

SPJ: That's sinfully easy, and shouldn't be allowed.

So if these two can agree that there's strengths and weaknesses in both
approaches, that settles it for me.  It's a matter of knowing your
trade-offs and choosing your tools appropriately.

My suspicion is that type affinity is related to some trait of personality,
and so trying to "prove" superiority is a likely to work as "proving" you
are right in any other clash of personalities.

Brad

--- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Clojure" group.