On Monday, October 28, 2013 4:51:54 PM UTC-7, Alexander Hudek wrote:

> It is incredibly hard to write a clean sql dsl due to differences in how
> various database drivers work, and also due to how complex sql itself is.
> It's worth noting that you can always selectively fall back to jdbc if you
> encounter any of these issues. Korma uses jdbc itself and works well with
> it. We instead mix jdbc with light honeysql usage.

Of course, this is one of the big reasons an abstraction layer is critical
for any project larger than a toy: it makes absolutely no sense for every
application developer to independently discover every fiddling little
difference between every sql implementation, and to work around every
complexity in structuring sql queries for boilerplate tables. It's a
completely waste of time. It only makes sense to dive into that when
dealing with data that do not fit the 99% use case of simple tables, with
standard relations (1-1, 1-m, m-m), and low performance requirements.
 Application engineering time should be spent on the problems that aren't
already solved, e.g. the petabyte scale data, the low-latency data, the
data that doesn't fit in squares, etc.