Clojure is the first functional programming language I've used for anything
more than toy examples, so I'm learning functional programming in general
as well as Clojure specifically. I understand the value of creating pure
functions in theory, but when writing applications, I'm finding that logic
and IO are getting hopelessly entangled.

Specifically, in my web application, there is interaction with the DB on
most requests. The interaction may be quite complicated: e.g. first get
some user data, inspect it, and then make more DB calls if a user is
allowed to view some resource.

Does anyone know of any books or articles on structuring functional code to
separate pure and impure functions? Or other resources? Projects that are
good examples?

Although I've found good resources on writing pure functions and good
resources on using Clojure IO libraries, I haven't yet found anything that
talks about architectures that let you cleanly integrate the two in
real-world projects.

Thanks,
Ben