The first rule of macro club is "Don't write macros."

Macros are powerful, but they should be considered the last avenue of
attack. Often macros are a slim wrapper around an API made out of
functions, and there just to provide some syntax sugar.

Libraries that use macros more extensively, like core.logic, or the "go"
form in core.async, are relatively rare, and cover the cases where nothing
else but macros are powerful enough to implement the desired functionality.

Instead, it's far better to start with a data-driven approach. A data
structure is always preferable over an API, and an API is always preferable
over a DSL.

This approach can be seen in Datomic, which uses data structures to
represent queries and commands, or Ring, where data structures are used to
represent HTTP requests and responses. Clojure heavily emphasises data, far
more than most other languages, and certainly more than OOP.

- James