On 16 November 2013 21:45, Cedric Greevey <cgree...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Web browsers don't "pick a random sleep time before trying again", though;
> they display a 500 error page and the user promptly clicks "reload" while
> making an exasperated sigh.
>
> If the client is something other than a web browser, then we're no longer
> talking about the web, but some other thing, like SMTP or whatever. And
> then we're outside the scope of my earlier remark, which specifically
> mentioned the web. Not to mention outside the scope of the OP's product,
> which was clearly referred to as a "Ring middleware" and not some other
> sort of server component for some other kind of server.

It sounds like you've never heard of web services before.

Web servers are often used to serve information to clients other than web
browsers. HTTP is not a perfect protocol, but it's a well-supported one,
and is one of the most common ways for machines to communicate across the
internet. It's also used a lot in internal networks.

I can see overload-middleware being useful in an internal network, where
clients are submitting jobs to a central server. The clients can be
programmed to wait a random length of time before retrying if the server is
overloaded. I suspect that a better solution might be to use a queue, but
it really depends on the requirements of the system being developed.

- James