Hi Sean,

On Wednesday, December 4, 2013 12:03:45 AM UTC, Sean Corfield wrote:

> Take a look at Liberator, which is specifically designed for building
> REST APIs

I did have a quick look at liberator earlier but by that time i'd scratched
most of my itch with compojure. I do intend to look into it in more depth
though since there's a lot of application left to write.

> - but bear in mind the mindset of the Clojure community is
> generally to compose several libraries to create the specific solution
> you need, rather than having any "full stack" frameworks.

The lisp mindset is rather why I came over to clojure, but I wasn't
expecting to have to write quite so much code to get on with things.

> That said, 14 hours to create a RESTful web service for CRUD for a
> single table seems excessive so I'd be curious exactly what you're
> trying to achieve and why you're finding it so laborious? Perhaps if
> you explain your requirements a bit more, we can offer better
> suggestions...?

I'm building a data management service for several other services to hang
off. The basic problem is solves is to avoid having to either a) share the
same database across multiple codebases (given that we may want to change
the structure and then things get tedious) or b) keep several different
databases (in which case welcome to synchronisation hell).

Part of the 14 hours has been a learning curve for the libraries involved.
I also seem to have spent rather too patching what I perceive to be holes
where facilities should be in the libraries I'm using and in writing
abstractions to avoid some of the tedium. I didn't really imagine I'd write
two data structure handling libraries, two pieces of middleware and a
validation layer atop korma just to be able to do a little bit of CRUD.

I think I've been spoiled by the libraries available in other languages
which seem to me to achieve a better balance between raw power and helping
you to get things done more quickly (something I've found Perl achieves
particularly well -- it errs on the side of power but the libraries seem
more 'complete' if that makes sense).

Oh, I did find one library that I liked a lot, timbre.

James