On Dec 19, 2013, at 18:15, Sean Corfield wrote:
> If you think that discussion is inappropriate for this list (and I
> agree - it is), then why do you think this discussion is appropriate:
>
>> Can we get back to talking about folks who are using Clojure to
>> make a positive impact?
>
> It seems to me this is bound to be a political or at least a very
> subjective one based on people's own moral compass and their ideology?
> As such I don't think it's a particularly useful discussion on what is
> primarily a technical list.  Perhaps post the question on Quora?  That
> seems to be very friendly toward political / moral discussions...

My problem with the Monsanto topic is not that it is political or
subjective, but that it is likely to be contentious and negative.  Other
candidates for "doing something worthwhile" may be arguable, but at
least they start on a positive note.

FWIW, I like John Wiseman's take on this:
> Suggestions of endeavors using clojure for something worthwhile itself
> seems like an entirely worthwhile discussion if people can resist the
> temptation to debate what worthwhile means and to disagree with other
> people's concept of worthwhile.  For example, here's a recipe for a
> useful discussion: If you know of activity X that you in good faith
> believe is worthwhile or, more specifically, (and I'm guessing at
> Rich's original intention so I could be wrong) philanthropic then
> post about X.  If you disagree with a poster about whether X is
> worthwhile, do not post.

Getting on to the question of non-technical questions on the list,
my reactions are that (a) this seems like the best place to find
information on the question I posed and (b) this is a mailing list
of Clojurists, not just a mailing list about Clojure, per se.  So,
I don't feel guilty about adding a few messages to the list.

-r

 --
http://www.cfcl.com/rdm           Rich Morin           r...@cfcl.com
http://www.cfcl.com/rdm/resume    San Bruno, CA, USA   +1 650-873-7841

Software system design, development, and documentation