< Cross posted from pedestal-users group, as many people who are not using
pedestal may still know about dataflow, terms like effect are used in the
context of pedestal >

Pedestal seems strongly based on dataflow based programming. The gigantic
tutorial just sort of jumps in on it.

Based on my usage thus far, dataflow seems really good at modeling problems
that are self contained. In their pure forms (no external inputs or
internal effects), dataflow seems almost like a circuit diagram.

However, I quickly get confused once we start dealing with effects. Seems
that there is a large "Here be Dragons" area of code in that region
(services.cljs).

I feel that this may not be dataflow's fault; I just haven't got my head
around it. When I look at dataflow, I feel like it is constraining me to a
particular way of solving a problem. The upside of this is that I have made
my logic declarative and potentially easier to reason about. This is a
trade-offs that seems similar to the trade-offs one makes when moving from
a mutable procedural programming model to a immutable functional model. I
have yet to personally get substantial benefit from dataflow, but that does
not mean I will not with more mastery.

I am wondering if there are any any getting started guides for dataflow
programming that you (the community) would recommend. I would be especially
interested in "recipe books" for dataflow based programming. How do you
really do asynchronous processing with dataflow? What if your asyncs may
return in a random order but must be processed in a specified order? A few
books/articles/whatever on how experts think through these problems could
be quite beneficial.