Hi - I've been playing with this and I'm a little confused.

I can understand how you use the library to pass around stateful
components, and to start/stop them and wire them up etc.

But I'm not sure I see how it should be used for more general dependency
injection.

I'll pick a concrete example - in the readme you have an ExampleComponent
which calls "(get-user database :admin)"
the "get-user" function then gets the connection from the Database
component - but it's still coupled to the particular implementation of
"execute-query":

(defn get-user [database username]
  (execute-query (:connection database)
    "SELECT * FROM users WHERE username = ?"
    username))

If you wanted to unit test this function, you could pass whatever database
connection thing you'd like - but you couldn't stub out the whole database,
as execute-query is still coupled to the implementation of your database.
 More generally, anything that calls "get-user" will need to provide some
sort of working database, or mock/stub out the call to execute-query, or
the call to get-user itself.

Is there something I'm missing?  Is there some way you could/would do this
with the component library?  Or is this not the point of the library?

- Korny

On 21 November 2013 02:01, Stuart Sierra <the.stuart.sie...@gmail.com>wrote:

> This is a small library/framework I've been working on for a few months.
>
> https://github.com/stuartsierra/component
>
> I use this to manage runtime state in combination with my "reloaded"
> workflow using tools.namespace.[1]
>
> I've started using this on some personal and professional projects and it
> seems to be working fairly well.
>

> [1]: http://thinkrelevance.com/blog/2013/06/04/clojure-workflow-reloaded
>
>  --

Kornelis Sietsma  korny at my surname dot com http://korny.info