I've been finding uses for Brandon Bloom's transduce mini-library left and
right lately. There is a class of problems where you want to track some
state as you process a seq, and transduce.lazy/map-state enables you to do
that (https://github.com/brandonbloom/transduce).

Here's my solution using it. It is concise and stateless:

(defn uniqify [coll]
  (map-state (fn [elem->times-seen x]
               (let [x (if-let [times-seen (elem->times-seen x)]
                         (str x "_" times-seen)
                         x)
                     elem->times-seen' (update-in elem->times-seen [x]
(fnil inc 0))]
                 [elem->times-seen' x]))
             {}
             coll))