I use and prefer congomongo, and am happy with its current state.  It's
lightweight and does what I want it to do.

I've looked at monger a couple of times, and felt it was more involved than
I wanted.  For example, I was turned off by the need to manually create
object IDs as part of creating records.  I like how congomongo does it for
me.

Maybe overhauling congomongo is not the way to go.  Maybe let monger occupy
the more complex niche, and just do the minimum updates to congomongo to
keep it current with evolving java and mongo apis, keeping congomongo nice
and simple.

--Mark