i am probably out of my depth here, i do not have extensive real-world
experience with the various ways to approach parallelism and
concurrency (to be distinguished of course), more run of the mill
stuff. so if i sound like i'm missing your point or am clueless i ask
for your patience :-)

> What's the sequential fraction of an arbitrary erlang program, can you even
> know (I don't know erlang, so I'm honestly asking)?

who cares? or rather, each person has to only care about their own
program & situation. maybe their stuff fits erlang. maybe it fits
better with something else e.g. LMAX. it. all. depends. :-)

everything depends on context. Martin's talk even included the part
where he bemoaned that people don't just stay single-threaded and fix
their crappy code first. running to concurrency and parallelism is
often a cop-out the way i hear him. that could be seen as arguing
'against' erlang.

so there are places where your program is mostly sequential and things
like "does the GC act like a GIL" do not matter as much as the
situation where you are trying to be more concurrent + parallel but
not distributed. in those sequential situations, maybe erlang becomes
a square peg for the round hole. (although i personally, through
suffering as a maintenance programmer, am a *huge* lover of the
recursive single assignment "turn" based approach to things, and i
love clojure's idea of having a consistent view of the world; most OO
people shoot me in the foot a year after they've left the company,
with their crappy macaroni code.)

> Shared memory pretty darn convenient, and we don't have hundred-core+ boxes
> yet.

i'm confused in that i thought you wrote shared memory ~= message
passing. so why talk about shared memory when that is a lie? just like
Martin said, RAM is a lie. why not realize everything is really
message passing in the long run, model it as such, understand the
issues as such? i do not have a chip on my shoulder about this, i'm
just sounding it out / exploring the thought.

sincerely.