Some months ago I decided to learn a new language. In the end, I had to
choose between Scala and Clojure and I chose Scala because Clojure was too
alien to me.
I was looking for a language to write web apps and Scala, with Play 2,
seemed like a natural choice to me. The fact that Clojure had many little
libraries rather than a few big frameworks didn't help.
Then I discovered Single Page Applications (SPAs) and looked into full
Javascript SPAs but soon realized that Javascript is an awkward language
that should be put out of its misery.
I finally decided to give Dart a try because Coffeescript and Typescript
were too close to Javascript.
Unfortunately Dart didn't impress me. As a language it's not very
interesting, especially after having programmed in Scala for a while.
Moreover, I was disappointed that it didn't (and still doesn't) solve the
callback hell problem. It's true that futures and promises alleviate the
problem but that's not enough, IMHO. I think the best solution is the one
proposed by Go and I was really impressed when I found out that Clojure
managed to implement goroutines by leveraging the power of macros. That
single fact is what made me reconsider Clojure.
Then I found out about Clojurescript and I was sold. I'm also very
impressed by how active Clojure's community is. In this last year things
have changed so much!
I'm looking forward to trying Pedestal, Om and Hoplon.
I think that clojure.async and Clojurescript are the two biggest selling
points for Clojure.
I hope Clojurescript keeps improving and gets the attention it deserves.