Nice to know about the 7 models book.  I wasn't aware of it.  I can't give
you an opinion about JoC 2nd vs. 1st ed., though.  I haven't read either
thoroughly.  I only got the first edition when I bought the pre-release 2nd
edition package last fall.  I don't have an e-reading platform that I like,
so I have only been reading bits and pieces of either edition.  I'll read
it seriously when the paper edition comes (unless I buy a tablet first).

(Are you on the Manning Publishing daily specials mailing list?  That's how
I got the pre-release package for 1/2 price, and I have seen that offer
more than once since I bought the package.  It may that at this point they
won't offer any further 1/2 price deals on JoC, but if they do, you could
buy it that way.)