On Friday, May 2, 2014 5:39:51 PM UTC-5, Mars0i wrote:

> There's a lot in between the amazingly common practice of barely
> commenting code--as if it was self-explanatory--and literate programming.
> Part of the reason I comment my code is so that *I* can understand it
> later.

Also, I fully support literate programming for those who find it especially
useful.   And I think we all agree that something more than "no comments
anywhere" is what's needed.  It's a matter of degree, and the appropriate
degree probably depends on the language, the nature of the code, including
how well variables and functions are named, the expected readers of the
code, the future use of the code, etc.  I think programmers differ in how
much they can get from just reading through code, some people will be
coming from other areas of programming, or will need to understand part of
a library without understanding the whole thing, etc.  More text is better
for some purposes, but not for all.