I'd always assumed that was the case anyway; the fact that Google was
prepared to risk that this was not the case was never a good guide for
the little people anyway. Google can afford to get sued by Oracle.

Oracle have, however, given you permission to use the Java API and
release it under (several different) licenses. The problem with Google
was that they were in breach of the terms of these licenses and were
claiming that they just didn't need one since the API was not
copyrightable anyway.

Phil

--
Phillip Lord,                           Phone: +44 (0) 191 222 7827
Lecturer in Bioinformatics,             Email: phillip.l...@newcastle.ac.uk