I'm also very excited about Automat, although I haven't had time to look at
it closely yet. Ragel is one of my favourite pieces of software. Here's an
article from Zed Shaw about using state charts for networked apps:
http://www.zedshaw.com/essays/ragel_state_charts.html. I read an article
(or an interview, I can't remember) where he discussed the state machines
in Mongrel in more depth, it was fascinating and quite amazing how much it
simplified the code, made it much more robust and consistently handled
tricky corners of HTTP while easily supporting things like websockets.

I'll take a look when I get a moment and provide some feedback - in
particular I'm excited about the possibility of compiling state machines
without the build time precompile step, I think there are a lot of
interesting possibilities with this.

Cheers,
Colin