Yes, the examples in the book are missing some lines. I think the following
log shows what they were going for:

joy.udp=> (remove-method compiler ::osx)
joy.udp=> (def unix (into unix {::c-compiler "/usr/bin/gcc"}))
joy.udp=> (def osx (into osx {:c-compiler "gcc"}))
oy.udp=> osx
{:home "/Users", :llvm-compiler "clang", :os :joy.udp/osx,
:joy.udp/prototype {:home "/home", :os :joy.udp/unix, :c-compiler "cc",
:dev "/dev"}, :c-compiler "gcc"}
joy.udp=> unix
{:home "/home", :joy.udp/c-compiler "/usr/bin/gcc", :os :joy.udp/unix,
:c-compiler "cc", :dev "/dev"}
joy.udp=> (compiler osx)
"gcc"
joy.udp=> (compile-cmd osx)
"/usr/bin/gcc"

About your question:

> Isn't there a core function/macro where I can derive and set hierarchy all
> at once?

Such a function would need to know in advance what hierarchy you want to
construct. If you have a desired pattern of hierarchy that you want to
reuse, you could define a function to create it using "derive" and
optionally "make-hierarchy".