Hi, Randy,

I'm several years into learning Clojure. Here's what has worked for me:

* Use either Light Table or (if you're determined) Emacs as your IDE.
* I learned a lot from taking this free online course:
http://iloveponies.github.io/120-hour-epic-sax-marathon/index.html
* I have *all* the published Clojure books. To start, I recommend
Programming Clojure, 2nd Ed. (Halloway), or Clojure Programming (Emerick
et. al.).
* Start on the exercises at 4clojure.com (sorted from easiest to hardest)
***AND*** (this is where you will learn the most) once you've completed an
exercise, spend *a lot* of time studying other people's solutions, looking
at both the factors of elegance and readability in solutions. If you can't
figure one out, keep at it until you do.
* Ask for help on stackoverflow.com. You get better results there because
people have an incentive to write clearly.
* In your own code, prefer readability over brevity (this bucks the common
wisdom of the community). Use multiline functions that show structure
through (auto)indentation. Symbol names are tricky--too short and they're
cryptic, too long and they hide the code; find what works for you.
* Watch videos from the various Clojure conferences and groups, especially
those from Rich Hickey and the most visible contributors of the Clojure
community. Their talks have given me a lot more about the philosophy of
Clojure and how to think about coding in Clojure than most of the printed
books.
* Finally, here are my Clojure bookmarks, which go back almost five years
https://www.pinboard.in/search/u:GreggInCA?query=clojure. Older links are,
in some cases, outdated. Use your best judgement.
* Persevere. Clojure is not an easy language/environment, but it is
uniquely oriented to future hardware and it is very powerful.