t appears that the random number generator for rand used can't be reseeded,
so there is no way to precisely repeat an experiment involving randomness,
except by redefining rand.  Also, there is no way to specify that rand in
different threads should use different RNGs (a strategy discussed in this
thread
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/clojure/random/clojure/cRVS19PB06E/8FsmtsYx6SkJ>).

It appears that this creates a bottleneck when using Clojure's parallel
functions such as pmap. (Try timing map rand vs. pmap rand.)  Again, this
can be fixed by rebinding rand, but that's an ugly solution.
clojure.data.generators <http://clojure.github.io/data.generators/> allows
rebinding the RNG, but only for its own functions.  I wonder whether
Clojure's core ought to allow rebinding the RNG behind rand, rand-int, and
rand-nth.  I haven't found discussions of this issue.  It's reflects a
common need in scientific computing.

btw bigmlcom/sampling <https://github.com/bigmlcom/sampling> also supports
use of RNGs with different seeds (as well as providing different
algorithms).