'any problem.. fixed.. by another layer of indirection'

You could also just make exportable functions that call the protocols,
keeping them more as impl-details, core.cljs does this, and you gain things
like varargs (hmm, do protocol-varargs work on cljs? nope:
http://dev.clojure.org/jira/browse/CLJS-362 )