Hi all,

I'm trying to use test.check to create random objects to test some
serialisation code I'm having problems with. In the past, generative
testing has worked really well for me for exactly this use case. However,
I'm finding that I'm getting OutOfMemoryError when trying to test a lot of
iterations:

(defn object [size]
  (if (= 0 size)
    (gen/one-of
      [(gen/return nil)
       gen/boolean
       gen/string
       gen/keyword
       gen/nat])
    (let [new-size (quot size 2)
          next (gen/resize new-size (gen/sized object))]
      (gen/one-of
        [(gen/return nil)
         gen/boolean
         gen/string
         gen/keyword
         (gen/vector next)
         (gen/map next next)
         (gen/fmap set (gen/vector next))
         gen/nat]))))

(def object-serializes
  (prop/for-all [v (gen/sized object)]
    (let [serialiser (ClojureSerialiser. {})
          byte-stream (ByteArrayOutputStream.)
          data-stream (DataOutputStream. byte-stream)
          _ (.serialise serialiser data-stream v)
          bytes (.toByteArray byte-stream)]
      (= v (.deserialise serialiser (DataInputStream.
(ByteArrayInputStream. bytes)))))))

(check/quick-check 500 object-serializes)
Dumping heap to java_pid9895.hprof ...
Heap dump file created [1976236588 bytes in 35.110 secs]
OutOfMemoryError Java heap space
clojure.test.check.rose-tree/permutations/iter--43--47 (rose_tree.clj:71)

Looking at the heap dump in MAT, it looks like something internal to
test.check is holding onto the head of a sequence:

clojure.lang.PersistentVector
+ clojure.test.check.generators$sequence$fn__109$fn__110$fn__111
| + clojure.test.check.generators$gen_bind$fn__149

I assume this is something I'm doing wrong, but I have no idea what. Can
anyone suggest anything?

Thanks,
Colin