On Thursday, July 3, 2014 7:27:24 PM UTC+1, adrian...@mail.yu.edu wrote:

> "No I'm benchmarking the functions returned by f1-4."
>
> Where did I say different?

I understood "Your original example called eval in the body of the
functions that you're benchmarking" as meaning I was running something like
(quick-bench (eval `( (fn [y] ...)  v)  ))
or
(quick-bench ( (eval `(fn [y] ...))  v)  )
But I'm actually calling eval before the benchmark and storing the output:
(let [f (eval `(fn [y] ...))] (quick-bench (f v)))
So the body that's being benchmarked is only the call to the dynamically
generated function.
Unless I'm totally misunderstanding how Clojure evaluates these things
[wouldn't surprise me].

> I would really like to help you gain a greater understanding here, but I
> must admit you are coming off as fairly confrontational, so I am hesitant
> to continue this conversation. Good luck.

Sorry, that wasn't my intention. I kept repeating myself because I'm not
sure if I'd be understood (since I'm new to Clojure and don't know the
canonical words).
Also, there are a lot of other discussions where people use eval in tight
loops and wonder why it's so slow; that and the mention of a difference
between AOT and eval performance made me think I should make it clear that
I'm not wondering why eval is slow, but why it's product behaves
differently.
Using a benchmark to do so was way too indirect anyway, I believe my
problem may have something to do with the failure of
(eval `(str ~(Object.)))

Cheers,

--
pascal