Hi there,

The :default option is for a *value* that should be returned if none of the
channels are available. The expression is evaluated *before* the
async/alts! call happens (just like normal parameters).

I think you are misunderstanding alts!. It should be used like this

(let [[val ch] (async/alts! [[inner-chan e]] :default :default)]
  (if (= :default val)
    (println "inner-chan was not ready")
    (if val
      (println "did the put to inner-chan")
      (println "inner-chan is closed"))))

I hope that helps. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Eric