It'd be great if you could chain lein take like that to take advantage of
having already spun up the jvm.

I've been thinking a lot lately about scaffolding for clojure projects, and
while lein templates are a nice start, what I want to work towards is modular
templates that can add (and maybe remove, although that's much harder)
functionality where you need it.

Modular deps would be a great start! I'm almost done with an automatic template
generator (also using re that's at least very helpful for template development.