On Friday, September 5, 2014 9:13:43 AM UTC+2, Andre Van Der Merwe wrote:

>  Alternatively are there any papers or examples that you know of that
> discuss implementing statecharts? Most of the ones I’ve seen are code-gen
> tools and that does not really what I am after.

You should definitely read Miro Samek's "Practical UML Statecharts in
C/C++: Event-Driven Programming for Embedded Systems" (don't be put off by
the fact that this is for C and embedded systems; the book is a walk
through through the implementation details of the author's commercial
statechart framework which contains a lot of details that one would never
think of beforehand).

It's the best resource on hierarchical statecharts (most of the others
don't go into detail of shallow/deep history and the intricate details of
the order of entry/exit actions when nesting is used).

As for tooling, while not really adhering to some aspects of Harel/UML
semantics, I've found Yakindu Statecharts to be quite usable, but then
you'll end up with code generation, which is apparently not what you want.

If you are thinking of implementing a purely textual DSL for hierarchical
statecharts, I think it will not work. As much as I love text-only
specfications, for nested state charts it will probably not be very nice.