I haven't taken the time to verify these statements with microbenchmarks,
but there are 2 reasons why keywords should have efficiency advantages over
strings when used as hash map keys:

(a) For keywords, hash values are calculated and cached when the keyword is
first constructed.  When looking up a keyword as a hash key, it simply
returns the precomputed hashed value [1].  For strings, the hash is
recalculated on every lookup [2].

(b) The common case after the hash value is calculated, if the key exists
is to compare against a single candidate key in the hash map.  For string =
between the same strings, but not identical, this is slower than
identical?.  For = between the same keywords, they are guaranteed to be
identical? and thus fast to compare for =.

For array map keys (for smaller maps, usually with at most 8 key/value
pairs), I can't think of much of a reason that keys would be faster than
strings, except for the final = comparison if/when a matching key is found.

[1]
https://github.com/clojure/clojure/blob/master/src/jvm/clojure/lang/Keyword.java#L87
[2]
https://github.com/clojure/clojure/blob/master/src/jvm/clojure/lang/Util.java#L171