On Thu, Nov 6, 2014 at 10:22 PM, John Gabriele <jmg3...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've got this: `[1 3 4 5 7 9 10 11 12]`
> and I'd like to turn it into this: `[[1] [3 4 5] [7] [9 10 11 12]]`.
>
> That is, I'd like to group consecutive numbers together (the final goal
> being to produce something like `["1" "3-5" "7" "9-12"]`, but that's the
> easy part).
>
> I haven't found an easy way to do this. Here's what I've come up with in
> Clojure:
>
> ~~~clojure
> #!/usr/bin/env lein-exec
>
> (def v [1 3 4 5 7 9 10 11 12])
>
> (defn congeal-consecutives
>   [coll]
>   (reduce (fn [accum x]
>             (if (= x (inc (last (last accum))))
>               (concat (butlast accum)
>                       [(conj (last accum) x)])
>               (concat accum
>                       [[x]])))
>           [[(first coll)]]
>           (rest coll)))
>
> (prn (congeal-consecutives v))
> ~~~
>
> Can anyone suggest a better / simpler / more easily-understandable way to do
> this in Clojure?

Hey John,

I think your approach is pretty good. I made some small modifications:

(defn congeal-consecutives
  [xs]
  (if (empty? xs)
    []
    (reduce (fn [acc x]
              (let [l (last acc)]
                (if (= (inc (last l)) x)
                  (conj (pop acc) (conj l x))
                  (conj acc [x]))))
            [[(first xs)]]
            (rest xs))))

I didn't see how to use `partition-by` in a way that made the function
any clearer than the `reduce` version, but I'd be interested if you or
others do.