Hi Tom, it may not be much consolation. But I run the functional
programming meetup over here in
Buffalo.
http://www.meetup.com/Definitely-Fun-Buffalo-Functional-Programming-Meetup/

Not huge, but we're a small group of FP enthusiasts in the area and not
that far away from you if you can't get anything going in Rochester. We're
currently trying to find a new interim spot to host our meetups well our
parent organization(The Buffalo Game Space), gets its own space back.

Feel free to hit me up!