CPU is cheap these days, why not do both?

I tests within CIDER when I want to. But I normally run lein test on
every file change (using a inotify script, but there's probably a nicer
way). This crashes a lot, for instance, when I save a half finished
change, but it also tells me when I have messed up what I think is a
trivial change.

Obviously, I don't do this on laptops running on batteries. But on a
desktop with multi-core and a second screen, it's helpful.

Udayakumar Rayala <uday.ray...@gmail.com> writes:

> Not sure if you are doing this, you can run the tests in cider itself. This
> is much quicker than running "lein test" outside particularly when you are
> doing TDD.
>
> I use clojure.test so every deftest method is a function which you can run
> to see if the test passes or fails. Or you can run run-tests
> <https://clojuredocs.org/clojure.test/run-tests> for running all or tests
> under a namespace.
>
> On Thu, Jan 8, 2015 at 5:11 PM, Robin Heggelund Hansen <skinney...@gmail.com
>> wrote:
>
>> The reason lein is initially slow, has to do with Clojures bootstrapping
>> process, which is slow. People tend to avoid starting clojure programs
>> repeatedly, and thus do alot of work from the repl, or using leiningen
>> plugins which keeps running and listens for changes.
>>
>> Take a look at lein-test-refresh for tdd:
>>
>> https://github.com/jakemcc/lein-test-refresh
>>
>> It detects when you change your code, incrementally compiles and re-runs
>> the tests. It runs your tests everytime you save a file :)
>>
>> kl. 12:32:44 UTC+1 torsdag 8. januar 2015 skrev Andrea Crotti følgende:
>>
>>> Hi guys,
>>>
>>> I'm starting to use Clojure a bit more seriously, I knew already Lisp a
>>> bit and Haskell, in plus I've been using Emacs for a long time so
>>> luckily it's not as hard, and it's a lot of fun.
>>>
>>> I'm using Emacs + Cider for development and it works wonderfully,
>>> however I have a few problems/questions trying to do TDD.
>>>
>>> 1. Isn't it possible to make Lein more verbose?
>>>
>>>    It's often quite slow and it would be nice to know what is going
>>>    on, I can stand the slowness but at least tell me something :D
>>>
>>> 2. When is exactly that I need to run again "lein test" (which is
>>>    painfully slow) and when just rerunning the tests from the same REPL
>>>    suffice?
>>>
>>>    I thought only when changing dependencies, but I had different
>>>    experiences so I'm not too sure about the rule.
>>>
>>>    And what command exactly is Cider triggering when I run the tests?
>>>    It would be nice to be able to see somewhere more information like:
>>>    - compiling file x
>>>    - running tests for y with command z
>>>
>>>  3. Does incremental compilation work well/make sense for Clojure?
>>>     I found something but the fact that it's not done straight away in
>>>     Leiningen makes me think it's maybe not much used?
>>>
>>> Thanks a lot, and congratulations to all the developers for the great
>>> language!
>>>
>>  --
>> ---
>> "Clojure" group.

Phillip Lord,                           Phone: +44 (0) 191 208 7827
Lecturer in Bioinformatics,             Email: phillip.l...@newcastle.ac.uk
School of Computing Science,
http://homepages.cs.ncl.ac.uk/phillip.lord
Room 914 Claremont Tower,               skype: russet_apples
Newcastle University,                   twitter: phillord
NE1 7RU