I haven't had a chance to really dig into Pedestal yet, but Ryan Neufeld did a
video sometime back that really opened my eyes to how Pedestal works:
http://youtu.be/sFT_0v-iKVQ

Pedestal is primarily focused on letting you provide your services (RESTful or
otherwise) while still providing some ability to push updates out to clients
through SSE.  In my view (someone may correct me on this) it would be ideal for
servers where you are mostly servicing api requests, but occasionally need to
push notifications out to clients.

In contrast, Sente is purely focused on socket communications between client
and server.  There's no real facility there for providing RESTful services,
because that's not it's purpose.  You would either have to model your requests
as a message going over the client->server socket, or provide a separate
RESTful endpoint running alongside your socket connection.  So it really
depends on your apps architecture.

I've experimented with Sente quite a bit, and it really is cool and quite
robust, but it's fairly low level in that you would need to build your
messaging system on top of it, since it is only concerned with managing the
socket connection.  If you are planning a very dynamic app that needs real-time
updates, it's a great platform on which to build it, but it is just a platform.

A third option would be to use Ring and maybe Liberator to provide a REST
endpoint and Sente to handle mainly the server->client notifications.  This is
comparable to the Pedestal approach, and if this is the style app you need, the
real comparison is between Ring+Sente (or some other method of push updates)
and Pedestal.  Comparing Pedestal directly to just Sente is apples and oranges.