I can say from experience that it's quite a bit easier to use component from
the beginning than to retrofit it, plus it solves the problem of controlling
startup order quite nicely (among others).  If you're planning on using
component anyway, you might as well bite the bullet and start with it now.  As
a bonus, you'll have a smoother workflow with the reloaded pattern, and you can
use prebuilt components from juxt/modular or danielsz/system for a lot of
common services you are likely to need, which saves you more time.

It's not that hard to pick up - a good starting point is Stuart's Clojure West
talk from last year (on YouTube).  There are also several lein templates out
there that will get you up and running quickly.  And you can learn a lot just
reading through the source of components in those libraries I mentioned.

If you still have problems, feel free to ask and someone will be able to help
you out.  A lot of people use component and related libs, and I've seen
excellent answers to component questions on here before (so a search of the
list archives might be in order too).