Or perhaps 1.7.0-alpha5 has a change vs. 1.6.0 that makes this code work by
accident.

Using lazy sequences to define later elements in terms of the prefix of the
sequence up to that point has come up multiple times, usually with the
example of generating primes (but different code each time).

I don't have time to dig for those examples and the explanation right now,
but I believe one potential issue is that lazy sequences are sometimes
'chunked' (the return value of range is) into groups of 32 consecutive
elements, and some functions operating on sequences preserve those chunks,
and operate on those batches of 32 elements all at once.  Also there are
some Clojure functions that are 'more eager than necessary', evaluating a
few elements of the lazy sequence past the minimum needed.

Andy