> Hi Andrey - thanks for responding. Asciidoctor looks great!
>
> I think I understand the sucriata approach which serialises access to
> the connection (via the agent). But this doesn't ensure that all
> operations using the connection are done in the same thread does it (I
> didn't think agents were thread-locked)?. In not then it looks like a
> no go.

Yes, the agent does not ensures that all operations using a connection are
done in the same thread. Using agent only ensures that all actions
are done in serialized way and only one thread uses the connection at time.

> To be clear, my understanding (which is from a while ago admittedly)
> is that JDBC transaction implementations tend to use thread locals to
> store a bunch of stuff so it isn't so much the concurrent access which
> is a problem (nicely solved by the agent approach) it is ensuring it
> is ensuring the same thread is used.

I'm not expert in jdbc, but I have see the source of postgresql jdbc, and
the transaction state is bind to the connection, nothing related
to thread locals.

Thread locals are often used for "transaction mangers" like spring tx,
maybe hibernate (I'm not sure because I have never used it), and other
lightweight implementations like that https://github.com/witoldsz/ultm ...

But in case of plain jdbc transactions, as far as I know, no thread local
state is involved.

Cheers.
Andrey

http://www.niwi.be <http://www.niwi.be/page/about/>