Hello,

Thanks for your interest.
On Sun Mar  8 17:17 2015, Devang Shah wrote:
> This message is intended for suggester Daniel Solano Gómez, to initiate the
> discussion on the project mentioned in the subject line. Please feel free
> to jump in if you feel/wish to answer the questions or clarify points.
>
> I am interested in developing a plugin for the Clojure which will work in
> conjunction to the Android plugin. As I understand the project idea,
>
> TODO:
> 1. Develop functionality into the lein-droid (as an independent plugin) to
> support Gradle build system.
> 2. The new functionality has to be compatible with the current Android
> plugin in lein-droid.
> 3. Develop a "superset" and independent plugin to support build system and
> integration of Clojure and Android.
> 4. Since the new plugin will be integrated into the lein-driod, also modify
> lein-droid to support the new plugin.

I think these are the right steps, as a whole, but I think I would
tackle them in the following order:

1. Develop a Clojure plug-in for the Gradle-based Android build system
2. Examine lein-droid's features and see which can or should be handled
by the Android build system
3. Rewrite bits of lein-droid to use the new build system

Aside from the work on developing the Gradle plug-in, the key bits is
figuring out exactly what lein-droid does and how that maps onto what
the new Android build system does.  Additionally, would it be possible
to generate a build.gradle file from the project.clj?

> Questions (Project specific):
> 5. Can you elaborate "Unfortunately, because the Android plugin replaces
> the Java plugin, the current Clojure plugin doesn't work for Android." What
> do you mean "replaces the Java plugin"?

Gradle comes with a plug-in to compile Java.  Clojuresque, the Clojure
plug-in for Gradle depends on this Java plug-in.  Unfortunately, the
Android build system does away with the Java plug-in (the Android
plug-in is in charge of compiling Java), so Clojuresque doesn't work
there.  This is why a new Clojure plug-in is needed.

> Also, can someone highlight in brief some features (of Gradle plugin) that
> we are planning to support? Any known features that are not supported by
> the current build system?

Ideally, you could just include the Clojure plug-in into an Android
build.gradle, and it will handle all Clojure sources similarly to
Android Java sources are handled (build types, etc.).  It should also
present all the necessary options to configure the plug-in, such as
source directory locations, Clojure compiler options, etc.  It would be
good to review what Clojuresque supports.

> Questions: (GSoC application specific):
> 6. Where can I get the template for the application?
> 7. What are all the things expected to be addressed in the application.

Please refer to:
http://dev.clojure.org/display/community/Student+application+guidelines

Again, thank you for your interest.  Please feel free to post to this
e-mail list and the clojure-android list for more feedback on your idea.

Sincerely,

Daniel