On Tuesday, March 24, 2015 at 1:46:23 PM UTC-4, Jason Felice wrote:

> I'm a little weirded out by writing binary code out of a jar to a
> temporary directory; on the other hand, this does improve distribution,
> doesn't it?  I imagine all sorts of potential problems, though: 1) multiple
> copies of the program overwrite the same file (if a predictable name is
> used), and also have a security race, or alternately 2) litering the /tmp/
> directory with bunches of libs.  And also 3) this will hurt startup
> performance, which is important in my case.
>
> This means that I would have to take on building this for all of the
> binary platforms, which is a chore; and (again) on the other hand, it's a
> chore that would allow other apps to never have to have this problem.
>
> (Avi is a console-based editor, the JNI portion is an ncurses wrapper.)

You're also likely to run afoul of host security configuration. A lot of
admins/OSes don't permit extracting binaries to /tmp and running them as a
lot of malware does this as a step in the infection process, first
hijacking a host process such as a browser and then writing a bunch of code
out to a temp file, which is then executed to perform further malicious
actions or is hidden with a rootkit and added to the boot sequence.

My own machines here won't run binaries from any of the Windows temp
directories, as a defense against (among other things) the nasty Cryptowall
and related malware.