So far I'm finding the book instructive! Good job. As far as the detour,
I'd keep in mind that in general Rich likely isn't in favor of it on this
list but on the other hand I didn't find that the criticism was personal as
no names were mentioned and  I commiserate about so called  "architects"
causing projects to fail (sometimes very painfully)  and I'm sure that at
times Scala looks down it's nose at Clojure so I'm not to worried about
that either. From what I've seen and heard, Martin Odersky recoils in
horror at dynamic languages.