On Monday, April 13, 2015 at 4:48:28 PM UTC+3, Alex Miller wrote:

> I think what you're seeing here makes sense.
>
> On Sunday, April 12, 2015 at 3:39:15 PM UTC-5, whodidthis wrote:
>>
>> Are there any thoughts on code like this:
>>
>> #_
>>

> This says to ignore the next read form....
>

>> #?(:cljs (def unrelated-1 nil))
>>

> This evaluates to *nothing*, ie nothing is read, so it is not ignored by
> the #_.
>

>> #?(:cljs (def unrelated-2 nil))
>> #?(:cljs (def unrelated-3 nil))
>>

> These also read as *nothing*.
>

>> #?(:clj (def n 10))
>>

> This *is* read, but ignored per the prior #_
>
> #?(:clj (defn num [] n))
>> ; compile on clj =>RuntimeException: Unable to resolve symbol: n
>>

> And then this makes sense.
>

>> I guess it's fine if it continues to work that way but I can imagine it
>> being a little surprising from time to time heh
>>

> Conditional reading is definitely something to be careful about - I think
> in this case you are combining two types of conditional reading so be
> doubly careful. :)
>
> To get the effect you want in this, using #_ *inside* the reader
> conditional would work:
>
> #?(:cljs #_(def unrelated-1 nil))

Sorry, back to this stuff again. I tried using discard inside but

#?(:clj #_'whatever)

just throws

CompilerException java.lang.RuntimeException: read-cond starting on line 32
requires an even number of forms"

when compiling on clojure.

Would be nice to have a way to ignore reader conditional forms or the
thingie things inside but there does not seem to be an easy way.