On 03/05/2015 05:24, Sean Corfield wrote:
On Sat, May 2, 2015 at 8:18 PM, Mark Engelberg <mark.engelb...@gmail.com
<mailto:mark.engelb...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    Clojure is great for creating new, disruptive web models, but what's
    the easiest path to creating something that can be done trivially
    with, say, Drupal or Django?

The question tho' is why you'd want to use Clojure for something that is
already trivially solved with free packaged software for widely used
scripting languages where cheap, plentiful developers are falling over
themselves to help... :)

Clojure doesn't have to be the solution for every problem. It certainly
doesn't need to be the solution for low-value problems...

Forgive me if that sounds a little elitist. What if I want to do what Django can do but in Clojure? If Clojure is a better option there should be something which can do more than Django. If my only choice is library composition by definition it doesn't do what Django does well, ie. a fully-structured setup out of the box with a predictable, best of breed set of technologies.

There are many businesses, large and small, who will only go with a well-established web framework with a vibrant community. Sadly, Clojure's preference for protecting its niche means it will never be an option for these opportunities, hence its poor showing in job listings. Do we, as a community, want to be paid for what we do?

There's one factor missing from this discussion which is framework community. I think there's immense value in the community factor which emerges when a web framework gains a lot of mindshare. From what I've read in this thread there will probably never be anything like RailsConf for a Clojure web framework simply because shared knowledge can only go so far with the library composition approach.

Perfection is the enemy of the good (Gustave Flaubert).

"The whole is greater than the sum of its parts." (Aristotle)

gvim

--- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Clojure" group.