Am Montag, 4. Mai 2015 14:09:35 UTC+2 schrieb Sean Johnson:

> On Monday, May 4, 2015 at 4:41:02 AM UTC-4, Sven Richter wrote:
>
> All in all this is basically the direction I want to go with closp and
>> closp-crud. The intention is not to have a webframework, but to automatize
>> steps that need to be done manually otherwise.
>>

> One potential problem with this "web framework" as app template approach
> is upgrade-ability.  When 2.0 of your "framework" comes out, what happens
> to an app generated from 1.0 that wants to benefit from the new
> capabilities?

I thought about it and all that came to my mind that there simply won't be
an upgrade path. Once you generated your code / templates / whatever you
are done and up to yourself.
Having a supported upgrade path might be

1. to much for one or two persons to handle
2. Incompatible to the "generate" everything approach as one would have to
make sure that old code, enriched with user code (which can be anything),
still works with new code in whatever feature context that might be.

> It's not a showstopper to the approach. It's just something to think hard
> about. I've taken a couple of long lived Rails apps from Rails 1 to Rails 4
> and while there have been breaking changes with each major version change
> (and some minor versions) in general it's pretty easy to keep up with the
> latest versions and there are copious docs (even whole ebooks in some
> cases) to walk developers through the changes.

I am curious, why did you upgrade your application over such a long time?
Was this a product that got added new features over many years? Or was it
more a "it's easy to do, so let's just stay up to date in case we might
need it"?

Best Regards,
Sven