Problem solved.  I finally got rid of the problem that required me to
delete a type hint, compile, add it back, and recompile, by moving the
gen-interface and deftype calls that I used to define the Student class
into the same namespace I used to define the Students class.  (I think
that's what people were suggesting, but I lost track of what all of the
relevant points.)

Tassilo, thanks for being willing to look at the code.  I appreciate it.
There's no need to look at it to solve the delete/restore/recompile
problem.  (If you or anyone else still want to look at the source for any
reason, it's at https://github.com/mars0i/majure.  The latest version at
this moment is in the directory *3opt8*.  The version referenced in my last
post was in *3opt7*.   *0plus* contains a pure Java version.  I may
reorganize the directories in a few weeks.)

Thanks for everyone's help!