I'm a newbie in the JVM/Clojure world, and a past user of C#/WPF.  I had
similar questions for a JVM desktop application, and came upon this
interesting project: http://open-dolphin.org/dolphin_website/Home.html.
The notion here is that you mutate very simple, generic presentation models
at the back end, and all changes are instantly communicated to clients;
changes at the UI are automatically sent to the server-side presentation
model.  You can listen for changes in the back end presentation model, and
register command handlers.  The documentation claims, "You get a full
reactive *event-driven programming model* in the normally request-response
oriented Java enterprise world."  At the front end, the presentation model
is technology-agnostic: you can bind to JavaFX, or choose another method.

I thought that this might serve -- with a wrapper of some sort -- as a
bridge between Clojure's immutable models and whatever mutable world you'd
have to interact with at the UI.  Caveat: haven't really used it yet, and
don't know whether it'll work smoothly.  The Canoo guys have released some
interested demos and presentations which are linked to at the website.

  Vikram