On Tuesday, June 16, 2015 at 7:40:24 AM UTC-4, Jeroen van Dijk wrote:

> Ah thanks James, I missed the pending nil. The actual value is still nil
> indeed:
>
> user=> (def m (re-matches #".*(foo\.gif).*" "foo.gif\n"))
> "foo.gif\n"#'user/m
> user=> m
> nil
>
> Not sure what would be the cause here then, but the random printing of the
> second argument of re-matches also happens when I evaluate an arbitrary
> function after the exception
>
> PatternSyntaxException Unmatched closing ')' near index 13
> .*(foo\.gif).*)
>              ^  java.util.regex.Pattern.error (Pattern.java:1924)
> RuntimeException Unmatched delimiter: )
>  clojure.lang.Util.runtimeException (Util.java:221)
> user=> (list 1 2)
> "foo.gif\n"(1 2)
>
> cider doesn't have this problem either it seems

Looks like something in re-matches is printing the second argument, but
without a terminating newline. A subsequent print, such as of "nil\n" or
"(1 2)\n", by the REPL evaluator, with a newline, then completes the line
and flushes the output buffer.

There seem to be three separate errors here, two of them in re-matches:
1. The one case where you slipped in an extra close parenthesis, which is
what caused the exceptions.
2. The peculiar printing (without flushing) of the second argument by
re-matches. (I don't know where it's going with some of the different REPLs
but perhaps those ones maintain a different output stream for *out* and for
REPL evaluation result printing.)
3. The regexp *should* match "foo.gif\n" from the looks of it, but seems
not to be doing so.