I've never used ring.middleware.reload, but I do run client figwheel and
server in the same jvm.

In your project.clj, make figwheel listen on an nrepl port:

    :figwheel
    {:nrepl-port   7888
     :server-port  3000 ; http
     :repl         false ; Optional: keep this off and bootstrap to cljs
repl: see below.
     :ring-handler your-ring-handler}

Connect to that port with an nrepl client: this will be a clj repl for the
server.

To get the cljs repl, you can either leave :repl true and use it from
stdin/stdout, or you can piggieback to a cljs repl like so:

(do (use 'figwheel-sidecar.repl-api) (cljs-repl))

Since you can connect multiple nrepl clients to the same nrepl server, you
can easily have one client for the server clj and another for the client
cljs/figwheel.