As with all Clojure data structures, lists in Clojure are immutable, so
they cannot be modified in place.

Also, defs in Clojure are always global to the current namespace, no matter
where they are. For this reason, it's generally not a good idea to nest
defns.

You may want to refer to how other people have approached these problems.
For instance:
https://github.com/gregsexton/SICP-Clojure/blob/master/src/sicp/ch4.clj

- James