I had not heard of AA trees before, but according to Wikipedia they sound
like a variant of red-black trees.  Clojure's built-in sorted-map and
sorted-set implementations are called by the class name PersistentTreeMap
in its Java implementation [1], and it implements a persistent version of a
red-black tree.  The source code won't give you lots of hand-holding, but
it is there to see if you are interested.

Andy

[1]
https://github.com/clojure/clojure/blob/master/src/jvm/clojure/lang/PersistentTreeMap.java