I'm not an expert on this subject, but two thoughts come to mind:

   1. the point of protocols is polymorphism, and if I understand you
   correctly, the case you're describing is narrowed enough that it is *not*
   polymorphic -- i.e., if the compiler can statically determine what code to
   run, it's not polymorphic anymore, and you as the programmer could have
   just called that code directly (though perhaps for some reason you might
   not want to write it that way)
   2. the previous point notwithstanding, I don't think static type
   information is enough to pick an implementation, because you could still
   conceivably encounter (at runtime) subclasses of the annotated type with
   their own implementations, and have to check for that